We’re all busy getting the new school year underway, but this is also the time to be planning ahead. Do you want to do a research experience next summer? Want to study abroad in the spring? Want to participate in the Putnam competition? Want to present last summer’s research at a conference? Now is the time to start finding those due dates and getting those applications and recommendation letters together. Below are some activities and opportunities coming up – check them out!
- MAKO (Missouri-Arkansas-Kansas-Oklahoma) Undergraduate mathematics research conference, Saturday, November 13, 2010 at Missouri State University.
- Budapest Semesters in Mathematics – spend a semester in Budapest, Hungary learning mathematics (taught in English) by renown mathematicians. Deadline for Spring, 2011 is November 1, 2010 and the deadline for Fall, 2011 is April 30, 2011.
- NSF (National Science Foundation) graduate school fellowship applications are due November 18, 2010 (in mathematics). If you are a US citizen and are planning to go to graduate school next year in math or science, you should start now to prepare your applications for this prestigious fellowship. (If enough people are interested, we can hold a workshop on how to apply for this fellowship. Contact Keri Kornelson kkornelsonATmathDOTouDOTedu if you are interested.)
- Nebraska Conference for Undergraduate Women in Math (NCUWM) This conference is for women studying mathematics. It will be held Jan. 28-30, 2011, but the deadline is much earlier. If you are interested in attending, please contact Keri Kornelson by October 15.
- Putnam Competition and Putnam Seminar – The Putnam mathematics exam competition is held on the first Saturday in December (Dec. 4, 2010). There will be an OU Putnam exam seminar in which students can work on and discuss prior Putnam problems and learn new problem solving techniques. You can come to the seminar whether or not you wish to take the Putnam exam in December. If you are interested in either the competition or the seminar, contact Professor Albert jalbertATmathDOTouDOTedu for more details. (This just in! The Putnam seminar will be held on Thursdays at 5 p.m. in PHSC 1025.)
- The National Security Agency (NSA) has a variety of summer internships for students with a strong math background. One of these is the Director’s Summer Program. The deadline for applications is October 15, 2010.
- The National Joint Meetings of the American Mathematical Society (AMS) and the Mathematics Association of America (MAA) will be held in New Orleans, LA on January 6-9. 2011. Here is a link to activities of interest to students. You may want to present a poster if you have worked on a research project in the last year! Note: you can apply for funding from the Math Department and the College of Arts and Sciences to attend any conference, whether or not you are giving a presentation.
There are a lot more opportunities available which are not listed here. You can find more on the OU Math Majors page, and the Opportunities page. If you want to do a summer research program, some useful links and advice for applications can be found on our Summer Research page. Most summer program applications are due early in the spring semester.