Congratulations to OU Math Department postdoc Ajit Bhand and all the others who worked hard the last several years to get Norman certified as a Fair Trade Town. It takes serious work and requires that the town be certified in various areas, including having enough Fair Trade shopping options within the city.
Here is a Google map of some of the many Fair Trade options Norman offers:
Go to Norman Fair Trade’s website for more information.
Norman is the first such town in Oklahoma, and only the 17th in the entire country. We join an illustrious list:
- Media, Pennsylvania – June 2006
- Brattleboro, Vermont – June 2007
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin – October 2007
- Amherst, Massachusetts – November 2007
- Taos, New Mexico – March 2008
- Northampton, Massachusetts – April 2008
- San Francisco, California – May 2008
- Montclair, New Jersey — October 2008
- Ballston Spa, New York — January 2009
- Chico, California — February 2009
- Bluffton, Ohio — May 2009
- Burlington, VT– August 2009
- Highland Park, NJ — September 2009
- Buena Vista, CO — March 2010
- Red Bank, NJ — April 2010
- Madison, WI — May 2010
- Norman, OK — May 2010
To read more, check out this article.